End of Year Giving Guide
Dear Friends of MCF,
Manatee Community Foundation is proud to be your Partner in Philanthropy! As the year-end giving season approaches, we want to ensure you have all the information you need to make your giving impactful, efficient, and joyful.
If you have a fund with the Manatee Community Foundation, now is the perfect time to add dollars into your fund, as well as make grants to the organizations you care about. Some tax-wise strategies for adding to your fund:
- “Bunch” Your Giving. Many MCF donors use their fund to “bunch” multiple years’ worth of donations into a single tax year to maximize their itemized deduction. Then they recommend grants to qualified nonprofits at the time of their choosing over the years to come. Let us know if you would like to learn more about how this might work for you.
- Give Appreciated Stock. Giving stock instead of cash can be a very tax-wise strategy. Compared with donating cash or selling your appreciated securities and contributing the after-tax proceeds, these gifts may help to avoid capital gains tax and therefore increase the dollars you can give. This is a very easy process but should be coordinated with our team.
If you do not yet have a fund(s) with MCF, it’s not too late for 2023! Donor advised funds are quick to open,require a minimum gift of just $5,000 at MCF, and provide a tax deduction now while allowing for charitable giving in the future. With a donor advised fund, you recommend the timing of grants and the qualified nonprofit organizations that benefit – anywhere in the country. Reach out today to discuss how a donor advised fund might make sense for you.
Make your gift count for 2023:
- Credit card contributions should be made by Sunday, December 31, 2023. Visit www.ManateeCF.org.
- Checks dated and postmarked on or before December 31, 2023, and mailed to MCF via U.S. Postal Service will be counted as 2023 gifts regardless of date received.
- Checks sent via private services (like FedEx) or hand delivered must be physically received at our office on or before Wednesday, December 27, 2023.
- Publicly traded stock gifts must be initiated by Thursday, December 21, 2023, and must first be coordinated with MCF’s finance team.
- Mutual fund share gifts must be initiated by Thursday, December 7, 2023
As always, please talk with your tax advisor about your giving.
Want to consider a gift or a fund but not sure where to start? We are here to be a resource and are always glad to hear from you! Please reach out today by calling 941-747-7765 or emailing our team.